More than 70% of people face or have experienced acne-related problems in their lifetime. For this reason, owners of oily skin often face challenges in choosing cosmetics because their skin has very specific needs. This blog post will reveal the causes of acne, discuss its main types, and ways to combat it.
Types of acne
Most people do not realize that this skin condition can have different symptoms and has as many as 5 distinct types. Each of them presents with different symptoms that are treated in different ways.
- Open comedones. This is the most common type of acne with a black nodule. Dirt, bacteria, grease and dead cells accumulate in the skin pores, and darken when exposed to air. This way, blackheads are formed.
- Closed comedones - these differ from open comedones in that the impurities in the pores do not come into contact with the air, so the oxidation process does not take place and they do not darken. Closed comedones have a white tip.
- Papules - This type of acne is of a more severe form and leads to reddened skin irregularities that are often painful.
- Pustules - The appearance of these signals an inflammatory form of acne with small, purulent rashes with yellowish tips.
- Nodules - the most severe form of acne, characterized by deep, painful acne caused by inflammation of the skin. These can be seen on the surface of the skin.
Acne rashes usually form in the chin, cheeks and T-zone, but in its more severe form, the rash also spreads to the neck, back and chest.
Causes of acne
Here are some of the causes that can cause acne bacteria to multiply and lead to discomfort.
Hormones, like the weather, are difficult to predict. Their imbalances can be caused by the menstrual cycle, the ovulation period, pregnancy, various diseases, medications and lifestyle changes. Stress, which is closely related to hormonal imbalance, also contributes to the spread of acne. The hormone cortisol stimulates the production of fat in the skin and, as a result, the growth of bacteria.
In addition to the stress or hormonal imbalances you experience, malnutrition can also cause acne outbreaks. Although this relationship is not scientifically established, it is understood that peoplenwith poor eating habits, are more often plagued by acne. Fast food, sweets (such as chocolate), dairy products promote rashes.
The causes of acne are varied, but improper skin care is one of the most common. The most common mistakes related to skin care are too frequent washing and improperly selected products that clog pores (such ingredients are comedogenic). Also, the lack of a regular facial skin care routine promotes the appearance of acne and the growth of acne bacteria. Without the use of strong moisturizers, the skin compensates by releasing even more fat, making it much harder for oily skin owners to notice dehydration.
How to fight acne?
Medication. If you have a severe form of acne caused by hormonal imbalance, stress, drugs, or other internal causes, we recommend that you consult a dermatologist who will advise you on how to treat the problem and prescribe medication.
Medical treatments containing acids. Acids are active substances that can penetrate the sebum and affect the condition of our skin. There are two major groups of acids, AHA and BHA. AHA, alpha hydroxy acids, help lift and remove the layer of dead cells from the surface of the skin and improve the surface of the skin, making it brighter, smoother. AHA reacts with water, while BHA reacts with fat and penetrates the pores, helping to clear them, dissolve blockages and prevent the formation of acne. It is important to choose balanced measures and look at their concentrations. Excessive concentrations of AHA acids can have a negative effect: leaving the skin dry and thin, and there is a high risk of pigmentation and premature aging.
Skin care routine. Consistent skin care and properly selected anti-acne cosmetics can bring good results.
- The most important rule of care for oily skin is regular cleaning of the skin and make-up. Regular cleansing of the skin with high-quality, non-irritating products is necessary - first clean the make-up thoroughly with a special cleanser or micellar water, and then rinse with a cleanser. For oily, problematic skin, acid cleansers such as the SOLUTIO cleanser for active pore cleansing, which contains hazel extract, tea tree oil and salicylic acid can help fight the symptoms of acne.
- Skin toning and moisturizing - for owners of oily skin, it is best to choose acidic tonics and moisturizers that act on the deep layers of the skin. Properly moisturized skin maintains a stable metabolism, so it is important to take care of sebum control, and moisturize the skin. The SOLUTIO line anti-acne cream will give the skin a matte finish and at the same time prevent moisture from evaporating.
- Use active serums that can help with oily skin problems: grayness, pimples, enlarged pores. The serum is a particularly effective and fast-acting tool. MANILLA offers the SOLUTIO shine control serum and SOLUTIO sebum control serum, which help resist the growth of acne bacteria and absorb excess skin fat.
- Once a week, use a mask and / or scrub to remove dead skin cells and clean pores. After an exfoliation or deep skin cleansing procedure, it is much easier to saturate the skin with nutrients and regulate sebum secretion. A great solution for acne-prone skin is the SOLUTIO pore-tightening acid face mask, which deeply cleanses and tightens pores and activates cell renewal.
Oily skin challenge
In December, 2019, we organized an oily skin care challenge, during which volunteers agreed to use MANILLA products for oily, acne-prone skin on a regular basis for a whole month and then to share the results and their personal impressions. Volunteers used the tools of the SOLUTIO line, and below you can see the results of one of the volunteers.